Tuesday 16 February 2010

Late Night in the Library

The uni closed at 9pm and we all went home but then met up again at t10pm in the library. We still had to photograph the booklet, create a slideshow and write our presentations.




I got the projection working and we were able to put our slideshow on the big screen. At this point it was only Jade that was speaking. Eventually I said that I wanted to speak also. I said this because Jade had quite a lot to say and I wasn't actually doing anything and what Lauren and Sarah was quite minimal - Lauren the slideshow and Sarah was simply handing the CD out.

Here an interesting revelation arose. Lauren didn't want me to speak because I was male. And Laura Groves was female. There was also a comment that all of the other groups would have male speakers so it would be nice to have a female in our group speaking. I said that this was quite a sexist comment and it was then commented that all girls knew it was sexist but no-one really cared. I was astonished. I'm not too bothered about sexism as I know it exists even though people say they aren't. It was the hypocrisy. If it had been 3 guys and 1 girl I can imagine there would be hell to pay. Also that the decision had been made when I was out of the room. After heated discussion it was decided that I could speak although no doubt this was simply to keep me happy.

From here I constantly made little jokes and stabs about the sexist attitudes in the group but I couldn't help myself.





We stayed at the library until 2am. We had the slideshow complete but our presentation still needed polishing. We decided to call it a night and we were going to meet up at 1oam that morning and continue rehearsing the speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment