Thursday 4 February 2010

Thursday 4th February


John brought in his Vaughan Oliver book and I was really inspired by his work. I loved the way he combined many different elements and fonts into his designs. If you tried to explain this style to another design person they would probably think it would turn out to be a mess but with Vaughan's work is somehow works!!

I read this book with our lyric pages in mind as I am usually reserved when it comes to choosing fonts and layouts. The book showed me more adventurous and fun ways of laying out text that wasn't falling into Neville Brody/ David Carson territory which I was very afraid of doing. I don't want to mess around with text/layout just for the sake of doing it and the same time I didn't want some boring page full of text that wouldn't really entice anyone to read what was written.

I have listened to Blue Roses music but I cannot remember the beat or rhythm each song so I based my experimentation with the text what I read on the page. I emphasised certain words/lines, etc and generally just tried to make the page look a little more interesting also having a different font for the title of the track and a different font for the body text.

The team were pleased with the lyric pages and agreed that it was much better than our original boring pages.

Jade and Lauren worked really hard on our logo. It was quite frustrating for me as I thought it was taking a long time but I know that is just down to my impatience. I was unfair in my getting annoyed. I didn't attempt to do a logo myself but this was because I wanted to concentrate on the lyric pages and I didn't see the point in all of us doing different logos. I tried to help Jade but I wasn't much use.

After returning from the Mac suite I saw the logo and I thought it was great! I couldn't believe how great it looked especially as earlier I was getting fed up with the whole thing. The only thing I wasn't keen on was the Helvetica font used and this was purely down to the fact that I have learnt of it corporate logo history in America. I suggest (and insisted) upon Gill Sans instead. It is different enough without being too different but I felt it also had more suitable connotations the obvious one being the Britishness of it! The band it British and have this retro-britishness about them so I thought it was perfect. Apparently Mike preferred Helvectica because he liked the look of it's 'R'. I recalled Mike commented on the letter R in the font he chose for his Bellini poster so I think he chose Helvetica purely on this basis.

I really liked the constrast between the decorative pattern and the sans serif font (which I hear one or two other students didn't but I was glad of this!)




Despite what I just said about the constrast of decorative and sans serif I did a quick variant on the logo (which we're not going to use).

No comments:

Post a Comment